Tuesday 16 November 2010

Much ado about poo

When I was a little girl I remember running to the huge gum tree in our backyard and hiding behind it with my eyes squeezed shut and my fingers jammed in my ears because my mother had taken some asthma medication that had made her dry retch.
I also remember not eating Caramello Koalas, roast chicken, scones and a myriad of other foods for years because (on one occasion) I vomited after eating them and somehow associated them with being spew-worthy.
And then there was the park I wouldn’t look at every time we drove past because (on one occasion) I ate some stale baked beans whilst playing there and proceeded to spend the night throwing up. Banned the park. Banned baked beans. You get the picture. Nutcase! 
So the fact I can now hold The Ranga’s heaving head over a bucket every fifteen minutes for an entire night and scrape chunks of vomit from the fibres of bed linen makes me mighty proud!
From the moment I witnessed my first meconium-filled nappy to the moment I wore my first projectile vomit – I realised I was going to become intimately involved with Another Person’s Bodily Fluids – For. A. Very. Long. Time.
Miss C is fairly low maintenance these days. She can use the toilet, rarely vomits and can wipe her own nose. The Ranga, on the other hand, is like a fire hydrant squirting from all orifices. If he coughs too hard, he spews. If he throws an almighty tantrum, he spews. If he eats too much, he spews. He has only just learnt to wee sans nappy (at 3.5 years) and was found recently in the kids’ toilet at a resort, naked from the waist down, and ‘ice-skating’ in a concoction of soap and his own urine!
But it’s poo he has the most problems with. When he isn’t withholding for three days, he is unloading giant brown packages in undies, in nappies, in the bath, on the floor, and occasionally, in the toilet! He has ‘issues’ with the whole bowel movement arrangement and I get where he’s coming from. Poo does not have many endearing qualities. It’s brown, it smells, and in our house, it incites more hysteria than Beatlemania (for him, not us).
If I were poo’s publicist, I would slam the door in its face!
However, because I empathise with my phobic son – having rejected spew-inducing parks and baked beans and chicken, myself - I am determined to put the positive in poo…and any assistance anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated.
The only two poo role models I have come up with thus far have been:
1.   “Mr Hankey, the Christmas Poo” from South Park. But I don’t really want The Ranga a) watching South Park at the age of three or b) fishing his faeces out of the toilet or his nappy or whatever, to engage it in conversation.
2.   A woman I saw on a documentary recently who was making sculptures out of cow manure – with bare hands – because she liked the texture!! WHAT!?!
So I Googled ‘poo’ to see what came up (as Google contains all of life’s answers) and found an array of links to poo and wee songs, poo arcade games, poo humour, stories about whale poo and climate change, Bristol stool analysis charts (with pictures!!!), more people creating art using faeces (what’s with that??) and bizarre YouTube videos that I was too afraid to click on.
And I still have nothing!!
We have always been fans of the no pressure approach to toileting, and The Ranga has willingly participated in the pooing in the toilet process three times, but he now equates defecating with losing a vital internal organ and no amount of cajoling will convince him otherwise.
The only solution I can come up with (besides bribery, nappies for life etc.) is to keep allowing The Ranga to watch people using the toilet until he learns that it is a perfectly natural and convenient human function.
Like I did on Saturday - when I was using the parents’ room toilet in a shopping centre - and he hit the button for the automatic door whilst I was mid-wee. Not sure how many people copped an eyeful, as I was too busy cutting off the stream (surprisingly good pelvic floor muscles), leaping across the room, cowering in a corner and screeching with my pants around my ankles.
The moral to this sordid tale: I may have overcome my childhood vomit phobia, but have now developed an irrational fear of my naked arse being exposed in public.
And…The Ranga has not pooed for three days!

8 comments:

  1. All non parents have no idea what crap (pun intended) us parents have to go through! I love your bare bones approach to life. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh mel..the poo phobia is normal hun, Miss J went through the same thing, just when we about to resort to suppoitries for kids(even though the chemist said all kids hang on to start with out of fear), she let one fly..hang in there, it does get better..awesome writing again gorgeous lady! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anon - Nice pun. Thanks for your comments - made my day!
    Charlie - We are on to Day 4 without a poo! Think The Ranga is heading for an enema. Thanks for your kind words as always xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Um ... are you sure you are not writing about me? Because the bodily fluids thing is a daily part of my life, and whenever I wee in public loos I keep my muscles clenched ready to pounce for the door lest a small human open it on me. (Tip: Never let them know you're afraid...)
    As for pooing, our youngest would wee in the loo from a young age, but would not poo.
    We didn't fight about it. He would just ask to wear a nappie when he wanted to poo.
    It was kind of gross, but at least it kind of kept the poo contained.
    One day, he magically discovered that pooing in a nappy was actually quite gross, and he went to the loo for number ones and twos from that day on.
    His little sister, mastered peeing and pooing in the loo a bit later - think she was in her twos when she started. But she we wouldn't wake up to wee at night and would often wet the bed. Again, we just let her wear pull-ups at night. Saved a lot of dramas.
    Seriously, whatever works for you and causes the least contact with bodily fluids is fine ... and good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh you are hilarious!! People need to know about you and I shall tell them.

    My best friend had the same spew experience with red frogs. Ate so many at the local pool, then spewed them up in her shower. Hasn't touched them since.

    Also, on the poo thing, I had a friend who's little girl would only poo into a nappy when sitting on a toilet. They were crapping themselves (sorry) that as she was off to school this year, she would poo pants at school. So they cut a hole in the nappy and she pooed inadvertently and the little girl got over her fear of pooing. Apparently she was worried about he splash.

    Awesome blog, hope you write lots more. Bern x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Welcome, nice to see some new faces on here :-)

    Nappies I can handle, it's the poo on the floor that makes me retch (especially when people step in it - you know the true meaning of love when you can wipe faeces off your husband's foot).

    Might try that cutting a hole in the nappy arrangement.

    BTW, I think we are seriously on about Day 5 of poo refusal. There's a mighty delivery coming soon and I'm going to make sure I am out when it arrives.

    Thanks for your comments x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hilarious post! All i can suggest is NOT to go down the path we did. Each poo should NOT be rewarded with a $10 Disney Cars car figure..... we spent hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of dollars toilet training our son. Unless you're that desperate, in which case I'll PM you a list of retailers ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Every poo!?! We are getting desperate, but perhaps not that desperate...yet lol

    ReplyDelete